Monday, April 27, 2009

Carrot halwa - A real treat

After the tiring and depressing last week, I thought I would make something for my sweet husband who did take care of both of us. But since I have not yet recovered completely, I wanted to make something super easy. The bag of carrots lying in my refrigerator caught my eyes and ding.....I started grating the carrots. We just finished it real quick as it was delicious:)





Ingredients:


3 cups grated carrots
2 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp ghee(more if you want)
1 tbsp broken cashews
1 tbsp golden raisins
pinch of saffron
pinch of cardamom powder


Combine the dry milk and milk in a heavy bottomed pan and bring it to boil. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp of ghee in a separate pan and fry the cashews and raisins till golden and keep aside. Using the remaining ghee in the same pan saute the carrots until they are half cooked for about 5 to 10 mins. Then add the sauteed carrots to the boiling milk. Cook till the carrot is completely cooked and all the milk is absorbed add the sugar. Keep stirring them, when it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan stir in the remaining ghee, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder and mix well. Remove from the heat and you can serve them either hot or cold. This would make a good dessert for guests and you can make them well ahead.

1 comment:

myscrawls said...

Lovely recipe... nice click!

Am Anu from My Scrawls. Do visit my blog when u get time. Would be happy to receive ur comments :)