Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Channa chaat - A refreshing snack

I have been craving for this channa chat for a long time. Since I usually make these kind of snacks for the evening, I would often forget to soak the channa in the morning. So yesterday as soon as I woke up I soaked the chick peas. You could also make them using the canned chick peas also. But I always prefer this way:)

This is a wonderful snack that you could munch any time of the day. You can even serve them in one of your dinner parties and it will definitely be a hit. Jagan(my husband) also loves it so much, it is one of our favourite snacks that we both would never get enough or get tired of. Do try this recipe.



Ingredients:

1 cup dried chick peas/channa
1/2 cup finely chopped onion(I used the yellow onion)
1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes(remove the seeds before chopping them)
1 green chili finely chopped(remove the seeds)
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tsp olive oil(or any kind of oil)
1/2 tsp chaat masala(adjust according to your spice level)
pinch of red chili powder(to add an extra kick)
salt to taste

Soak the chick peas overnight or at least 6 hours. Cook them along with 3 to 4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt. I usually pressure cook them for 3 whistles. Drain the chick peas and toss them with the oil. This would prevent them from getting dry. In a big bowl add all the other ingredients along with the chick peas and mix them. Keep aside for minimum 30 minutes for the flavour to come together. Serve them as a snack with a hot cup of tea or as a salad during meal.

If you are using canned chick peas, just make sure you drain and wash the chick peas before using them.

No comments: