Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Eggless whole grain pancakes - a perfect way to start a day

Pancakes are my little D's favourite. He is a very picky eater and when it comes to sugary items....he always says a big "NO". So we were shocked and surprised when he had pancakes the first time and actually enjoyed them. So now I make them at least twice a month.

The first time I wanted to try pancakes at home, I just thought how difficult could it be????? Then as I slowly started to try out various recipes......oh god....it sure is an art. My first pancakes are the classic white flour pancakes with eggs and butter. Then I slowly started experimenting using all the healthy alternatives.



Little D always asks me for a smiley pancake....I make them every time and this is one of my recipes that sure brings the smile out of both big J and little D.

Ingredients:
(Makes 6 to 7)

1 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats flour
1/4 cup barley flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp organic sugar(can be substituted with white sugar)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup of reduced fat milk
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 cup water
little olive oil (optional for drizzling)

In a bowl beat the ground flax seed with the water till they blend together and add the milk to this mixture and mix them completely. Now in a separate bowl sift together all the other dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour the wet ingredients. Gently mix them until smooth.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook them till they turn brown on both sides and serve hot with your favourite syrup. I topped them with some sliced bananas and maple syrup:)

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Those look good!

I just found your blog and I am enjoying looking at all of your recipes!

Unknown said...

I agree with your title for this recipe! Good start and nice blog- first time here - look forward to more recipes from you - cheers, priya

ShoeReviews said...

Hey guys!
Check out my shoe reviews!
Nice blog by the way!